This week’s challenge was to use a blind string – making a string on your tile without looking. This is my tile for this week. I tried a couple of tangles I hadn’t used before. I got off on the wrong foot with the first one (top), it was way too small, but I reworked it a little and got it back to where it should be. Before zentangle, I would have tossed it in the trash. Now, I persevere. The result may not be perfect, but that’s okay. It’s not about perfection.
It took me a long time to decide what to do for “Amanda Day”, trying to figure out how to represent the earth. I came accross a quote yesterday that I really liked and that gave me some inspiration. “Forget not that the earth delights in feeling your bare feet, and the wind longs to blow your hair”- I can’t remember the last time I went barefoot in the grass. I thought about how much fun it was to be a kid, picking dandelions and buttercups, lying in the grass looking up at the sky, and not having a care in the world. It made me think about the earth in simpler terms. I began by writing the quote around the outside of the tile, then added things to represent water, land and sky. It took me a while because the colors appeared very light at first, so I added deeper color, then I was sorry I did that (sometimes you need to leave well enough alone). I played around a little more and I guess I’m happy with it now. Sorry, it’s a little blurry.
While at the CZT retreat “Jump into January” held in Putney, VT, we did a Tangle Hunt in nearby Brattleboro. In one of the places we visited I saw a simple carved leaf design on old piece of furniture (this design was a border for another familiar looking pattern, Tagh).
I call the design Up n Down. The design was easy to deconstruct, and here is the step out for it. The third step is actually the same as the second, just drawn upside down. So it’s a simple tangle to do and can be used as more than just a border. I’ve included two samples of tiles where I’ve lightly shaded it along the edges of each of the leaf shapes. I’ve also included some variations.
This week’s challenge was to use Lee Ann Lendenzer’s “tuxedo”. I hadn’t used it before, but it looked fairly easy. I soon found out that the tricky part was keeping things evenly spaced. I didn’t succeed in that, and the look wasn’t as pleasing as I’d hoped for. When I’d finished the tile I felt it was lacking something. After studying it for a while I decided to add highlights in the orbs, giving them the look of pearls. It gave it a whole new look.
I want to thank everyone who stopped by and left comments on my mooka tile last week. It’s really great to get feedback.